Saturday, June 06, 2009

Southern Light


Early one Sunday morning my wife and I were driving near Bethel, TN, when we happened to see a guy riding his horse down a dusty country road. We were in the area looking for a creek that Anthony Scarlati (www.scarlati.net) had told us about. The horseman had a long pony tail tied back with a bandana-- the real salt-of-the-earth kind of guy. He seemed like a character out of "Lonesome Dove." I could hardly believe that we just happened upon this "Faulknerian" character while riding down the road. I asked him to ride his horse up and down a creek while I shot photos, and he was willing to do whatever we asked. The lighting was absolutely perfect and the model could not have been more cooperative. I knew that what I had witnessed offered great potential for an oil painting. I could hardly wait to finish this painting. I must say that my wife was just as excited about the prospect as I was since she knows what is required to create a good painting.

No comments: